Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
perspire, swelter, exude perspiration, drip with perspiration, drip with sweat, be pouring with sweat, break out in a sweat, glow, be damp, be wet, secreteView synonyms
- ‘What made it more impressive was the fact it came in a stifling humidity which saw fans sweating buckets just sat in the shade.’
- ‘If I get dressed for sub-zero temperatures, complete with gloves so I can scrape my car out from under the ice, by afternoon I am sweating buckets because I'd be better off in a T-shirt.’
- ‘It has no scientific basis and all you are doing is sweating buckets and compressing your fat cells in one particular area.’
- ‘In practice, it involved falling down ravines, getting flayed by sharp vegetation and sweating buckets - sort of like Eco Challenge for the chronically unfit.’
- ‘Less equipment meant less choreography on the part of the band and more time to rock out, which they did quite happily, sweating buckets and pandering to the crowd throughout.’
- ‘This was one of those games where in the end everyone had cuts and bruises and sweating buckets.’
- ‘Summer, that kind that has you sweating buckets and in a torpor from an excess of heat, comes late in this part of the world, and when it does, it often does so with a vengeance.’
- ‘Colin threw himself into the performance with innocent gusto, leaping round the stage, sweating buckets and managing somehow at one point not to topple headlong off the piano stool into the audience.’
- ‘Michelle Rodriguez sneers the whole way though while sweating buckets of blood and perspiration.’
- ‘Trust me you don't want me to be out there in the hot sun picketing, walking around sweating buckets.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.