One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Affirm something emphatically.‘his informant swore blind that the weapons were still there’
- ‘She swore up and down that she never would come here, that it was too much of a mess for her to drive all the way from Queens and back in midday traffic.’
- ‘From personal experience, every single one of my male and female friends who swore up and down that they'd never have children is now raising at least one kid, if not two.’
- ‘He swore up and down that it was all necessary for controling ones power but Scarlet knew he was just trying to get payback.’
- ‘More than that, have I dropped it in favour of working in London, which I swore blind I would never do while I was still at university.’
- ‘Tony is a huge Patriots fan, a guy who swore up and down at the Super Bowl in New Orleans a few years back that New England was going to shock the world.’
- ‘In fact, she swore up and down that she didn't have anyone in mind, but Jane knew her better than that.’
- ‘The fortune teller swore up and down on her husband's grave that the star had not been there the night before.’
- ‘It falls into the category of ‘edgy’ family movies, where the kids swore up and down and some violence was to be had.’
- ‘Naomi, as you'll know equally well, swore blind that unlike some models one wouldn't care to mention, she didn't take drugs.’
- ‘He told me all about it, when he was finished, and swore blind he was never going to mess with mysterious strangers again.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.