Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device on a mowing machine for raising uncut fallen grain and marking the line between cut and uncut grain.
- ‘Their work resulted in depreciation functions for three sizes of tractors, as well as combines, swathers, mowers, balers, planters, plows, discs, manure spreaders, and skid steer loaders.’
- ‘A properly adjusted swather is critical for cutting large a acreage in a timely fashion.’
- ‘So in 1926 he and his brother Ellert built themselves two 20-foot swathers from scratch.’
- ‘When the field was combined it was either done by a combine with it's own cutting table or with a combine using a pickup attachment to pick up swaths laid down earlier by a swather.’
- ‘Balers scoop alfalfa and grass after the crimps, swathers, or related farm equipment cuts the grass.’
- ‘Early swathers were built like battleships - cumbersome and so heavy they could not go into wet harvest fields.’
- ‘Manufactured in Canada the MacDon trailed swathers come in widths from 21 ft to 36 ft.’
- ‘After the peas are planted and have matured and are ready for harvest, the swathers move into the fields cutting windrows.’
- ‘With a few basic adjustments to most modern swathers, a good windrow of canola can be formed.’
- ‘After cutting, the swather leaves the cut hay in a long row so the rancher can use a baler to make hay bales.’
- ‘The harvest crew consisted of swathers and pea combines pulled by tractors.’
- ‘Half of each pasture was left standing, and the other half was windrowed using a 4.6-m wide swather head.’
- ‘The Canola Council of Canada suggests that the window to properly swath a crop is only 1-3 days. Even the best swathers have a problem doing a good job in tangled crops.’
- ‘Compared to swathers with conventional tines, twine tines guarantee optimum raking quality, even at high work speeds.’
- ‘Every effort is made to ensure that your swather runs smoothly and securely down the road.’
- ‘It is another object of the present invention to provide a swather belt connector needing fewer separate pieces.’
- ‘Our swathers are available in a variety of styles.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.