One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An ancient symbol in the form of an equal-armed cross with each arm continued at a right angle, used (in clockwise form) as the emblem of the German Nazi party.
- ‘Nazi symbols including the swastika are already banned in Germany.’
- ‘The child, who must be clean and well dressed, sits on a cushion under which has been drawn a swastika, symbol of stability.’
- ‘Together with election placards bearing his picture, many Fortuyn supporters wore swastikas and other Nazi symbols.’
- ‘Some wore T-shirts with the Star of David twisted into Nazi swastikas.’
- ‘Last September, white students at Elsinore High School in Riverside County confronted Latino students with racial insults and flags bearing iron crosses and swastikas.’
- ‘The swastika is a popular emblem of good luck in Hindu and Buddhist culture.’
- ‘But such groups are forbidden to deny that the Holocaust occurred and to display Nazi symbols such as the swastika.’
- ‘The flat where they worked themselves up with ‘White Power’ music before the attack was adorned with swastikas and other Nazi symbols.’
- ‘The rubble was cleared, historic buildings were restored and, their swastikas removed, Nazi buildings were ‘normalized.’’
- ‘And incidentally, it's in India where the ancient symbol of the swastika originated.’
- ‘In fact, the Nazi party appropriated the swastika as part of its drive to construct a political identity around a mythical German race.’
- ‘This did not have the Christian cross as its symbol but the swastika.’
- ‘The religious factor, with all the cross symbols, the Star of David, the Nazi swastika and all.’
- ‘The attackers spraypainted a swastika and other Nazi graffiti on the walls.’
- ‘Hitler turned the swastika into a striking political symbol and wreaked devastation beneath it.’
- ‘The principal image in the newspaper ads provided by the studio was one of arms with stars-and-stripes cuffs grabbing hold of the wrists of a Nazi with swastikas on his sleeves.’
- ‘The last swastika on a German public building has been stolen just before officials were going to remove it.’
- ‘One person in attendance was seen wearing a KKK pin and another wore an arm band with a Nazi swastika.’
- ‘German law bars any trade using Hitler portraits, swastikas or National Socialist symbols.’
- ‘Israeli and German diplomats have lashed out at a Hong Kong fashion company for using swastikas and other Nazi party symbols.’
Late 19th century: from Sanskrit svastika, from svasti ‘well-being’, from su ‘good’ + asti ‘being’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.