Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Heaven, specifically the heaven presided over by the god Indra, where virtuous souls reside before reincarnation.
paradise, nirvana, the kingdom of heaven, the promised land, the heavenly kingdom, the city of god, the celestial city, the abode of god, the abode of the saints, the abode of the angels, zion, abraham's bosom, the empyreanView synonyms
- ‘He soon found his way to Swarga's towering gates.’
- ‘Deserving Swarga, one must perform sacrifices.’
- ‘Above the earth are six heavens called Swarga, with increasing beatitude as one ascends.’
- ‘The most cherished land for all civilizations, in all times, was the land ascribed to gods, popularly known as Swarga.’
- ‘The old King's work in the world is over and he has entered Swarga.’
Mid 18th century: from Sanskrit Svarga.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.