One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Heaven, specifically the heaven presided over by the god Indra, where virtuous souls reside before reincarnation.
paradise, nirvana, the kingdom of heaven, the promised land, the heavenly kingdom, the city of god, the celestial city, the abode of god, the abode of the saints, the abode of the angels, zion, abraham's bosom, the empyreanView synonyms
- ‘Above the earth are six heavens called Swarga, with increasing beatitude as one ascends.’
- ‘The most cherished land for all civilizations, in all times, was the land ascribed to gods, popularly known as Swarga.’
- ‘He soon found his way to Swarga's towering gates.’
- ‘The old King's work in the world is over and he has entered Swarga.’
- ‘Deserving Swarga, one must perform sacrifices.’
Mid 18th century: from Sanskrit Svarga.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.