One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person attempting to impress others.
boaster, brag, bragger, show-off, blusterer, trumpeter, swaggerer, poser, poseur, poseuse, peacock, egotist, self-publicistView synonyms
- ‘It's worth saying that while the enterprising interviewees belong to the more willingly opinionated group of business owners, they were certainly not the type of swankpots who should be ignored.’
- ‘Now the Perth Concert Hall is a fairly austere hoity-toity kind of swankpot, people stay in their seats, clap, cheer, maybe take photos.’
- ‘Dr Lew was the barrelly fast and furious England centre with the steamhammer hand-off whom all the swankpots at my school attempted to emulate.’
- ‘My teacher's a right swankpot about the best pupil in his form.’
- ‘And, as swankpot Ford, Geoffrey Lesley gives a controlled, sleuthing performance that simmers on the brink of volcanic-like eruption.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.