Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large European freshwater mussel of still or slow-moving water, the larvae of which parasitize fish.
- ‘The swan mussels seem quite content to stay on the river bed where they belong.’
- ‘The majority of the native swan mussel beds have been colonised, and there is a threat of local extinction of those mussels.’
- ‘In my experience swan mussels are difficult to keep as they need a muddy bottom to bury themselves in john wilson is god’
- ‘In the early hours I had a terrific run on my swan mussel rod that again ripped off yards of line.’
- ‘The eutrophication causes ecological disturbance of water, which leads to death of fish, shrimp, swan mussel and other species.’
- ‘Often thought of as a natural way to filter green pond water, these swan mussels are ideal for placing in your garden koi or other fish pond and also for other fish tanks too.’
- ‘Swan mussels do have a parasitic stage but it is meant to be harmless to fish.’
- ‘One of my swan mussels in my pond has completely left its shell.’
- ‘Recently I obtained two rather nice swan mussels for my freshwater aquarium.’
- ‘Freshwater swan mussels are recorded from the lake.’
- ‘He put his stick into the gap between the two halves of the complete shell and the swan mussel immediately clamped on to the stick.’
- ‘These areas did not seem to suffer with the amount of swan mussels that I had out in front of me.’
- ‘It seems historically swan mussel were eaten, but it looks like they are affected by pollution in a big way’
- ‘The habitat, and the heavy, rough, dark shell, readily distinguish it from the duck and swan mussels, which live in rich streams, canals and lochs’
- ‘The swan mussels are found locally in slow running rivers, lakes and ponds.’
- ‘Swan mussels are highly sensitive to siltation and other environmental changes.’
- ‘Our best find was the swan mussel, usually we only find the shells, so the real thing was a treat!’
- ‘A 6-day deployment of swan mussels around a pharmaceutical discharge produces a reduction of activity relative to controls, although this was not significant.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.