One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large European freshwater mussel of still or slow-moving water, the larvae of which parasitize fish.
Anodonta cygnea, family Unionidae
- ‘The majority of the native swan mussel beds have been colonised, and there is a threat of local extinction of those mussels.’
- ‘These areas did not seem to suffer with the amount of swan mussels that I had out in front of me.’
- ‘Freshwater swan mussels are recorded from the lake.’
- ‘The eutrophication causes ecological disturbance of water, which leads to death of fish, shrimp, swan mussel and other species.’
- ‘In the early hours I had a terrific run on my swan mussel rod that again ripped off yards of line.’
- ‘It seems historically swan mussel were eaten, but it looks like they are affected by pollution in a big way’
- ‘The swan mussels are found locally in slow running rivers, lakes and ponds.’
- ‘A 6-day deployment of swan mussels around a pharmaceutical discharge produces a reduction of activity relative to controls, although this was not significant.’
- ‘Swan mussels do have a parasitic stage but it is meant to be harmless to fish.’
- ‘One of my swan mussels in my pond has completely left its shell.’
- ‘Swan mussels are highly sensitive to siltation and other environmental changes.’
- ‘Our best find was the swan mussel, usually we only find the shells, so the real thing was a treat!’
- ‘In my experience swan mussels are difficult to keep as they need a muddy bottom to bury themselves in john wilson is god’
- ‘He put his stick into the gap between the two halves of the complete shell and the swan mussel immediately clamped on to the stick.’
- ‘Often thought of as a natural way to filter green pond water, these swan mussels are ideal for placing in your garden koi or other fish pond and also for other fish tanks too.’
- ‘The swan mussels seem quite content to stay on the river bed where they belong.’
- ‘The habitat, and the heavy, rough, dark shell, readily distinguish it from the duck and swan mussels, which live in rich streams, canals and lochs’
- ‘Recently I obtained two rather nice swan mussels for my freshwater aquarium.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.