One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See swan neck
- ‘Mr Graville is also recommending that two brass swan-necked lights and two spotlights be removed from the restaurant as they are ‘alien and inappropriate’ to the listed building.’
- ‘For a protagonist we have Aloysious Parker, a skinny, swan-necked, out-there kid who dresses like a Fifties jazz sideman and sports a greasy Charlie Feathers hairdo.’
- ‘With hydro pools, swan neck massage jets, a pool, sauna, Jacuzzi, gym and a range of E'SPA treatments on offer, you'd be forgiven for staying there all weekend.’
- ‘Imagine an entryway with a mahogany long case clock that has swan neck pediments and Chippendale columns at the trunk.’
- ‘Anthony Buckeridge assembles the real essence of the retired schoolmaster - Panama hat, silver-tipped cane, swan-necked pipe (minus tobacco since a heart attack last year).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.