One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Characteristic of or resembling a swamp.‘a swampy area’
marshy, boggy, fenny, miryView synonyms
- ‘Like the Médoc in Bordeaux, the low-lying parts of the Maremma were swampy or marshy for much of their history with chronic problems of malaria.’
- ‘He settled on the swampy alluvial deposit of a muddy river with his minder.’
- ‘Consisting of grassy islands, swampy stretches and mangrove-covered banks, the estuary was an incubator for aquatic life.’
- ‘I flew off and landed in a muddy heap in the swampy infield, while the bike sagged directly to the ground.’
- ‘This stork is quite common in shallow waters and swampy areas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.