Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A large brightly coloured butterfly with tail-like projections on the hindwings.
- ‘Well, it turned out to be a common tiger swallowtail, but I decided that I wanted to get into collecting, too.’
- ‘An acute awareness of butterflies, which she developed after a brief encounter with a swallowtail in New Mexico, has convinced her that butterflies add a luminous dimension to one's life.’
- ‘Furnish your garden with nectar-rich flowering plants, and monarchs, swallowtails, and other winged visitors will drop by regularly, bringing beauty and motion with them.’
- ‘Dill and fennel are good plants for the caterpillars of the black swallowtail butterfly.’
- ‘This species is endemic to the Western Ghats and is considered the rarest and endangered swallowtail.’
- ‘Today I have a single glossy abelia (Abelia x grandiflora) in my own garden, and it is visited all summer and even throughout early fall by groups of butterflies, particularly the various swallowtails.’
- ‘We photograph a big school of red swallowtails and red snappers that live next to a rocky wall covered with yellow zoanthids.’
- ‘Examples where intraspecific variation is apparently restricted to degree rather than direction include fruit flies and swallowtail butterflies.’
- ‘In summer, swallowtail butterflies drift through the garden, riding the breeze on black or yellow wings.’
- ‘After mating, the male tiger swallowtail butterfly deposits a small ‘mating plug’ inside the female to try to prevent her from mating again.’
- ‘They can be as graceful as the swallowtail butterflies drifting by on a summer day.’
- ‘The students also sighted the endangered species of butterflies such as the Southern Birdwing, Malabar branded swallowtail and the Malabar Rose during the camp.’
- ‘If you want tiger swallowtail butterflies, plant a willow tree.’
- ‘Eyeing a green-banded swallowtail fluttering above him, Samson takes a running leap and with a deft swoop of his net catches the iridescent butterfly.’
- ‘Create a shallow puddle to attract swallowtails, blues, sulfurs and other butterflies that enjoy drinking at mud puddles.’
- ‘Some studies have shown that monarch larva die when fed Bt pollen, although other studies of swallowtail butterflies show little effect.’
- ‘Meanwhile, most fish, birds, and reptiles still have four kinds of cones, and some butterflies, like the Japanese yellow swallowtail, have five.’
- ‘Citrus attracts the swallowtail butterfly, and the larvae resemble bird droppings, but you will want to leave the young alone for the sake of future butterflies.’
- ‘Australian butterflies are from the families of whites, browns, blues and swallowtails, unbelievably sensible names.’
- ‘The refuge provides shelter and habitat for more than 300 butterfly species, including the zebra longwing, pipevine swallowtail, julia, and Mexican blue wing.’
2[usually as modifier] A deeply forked tail.
- ‘Two military knights, in uniforms of scarlet swallowtail coats with black arm bands, stood in solemn vigil, guarding the Princess's coffin.’
- ‘They all look slightly ridiculous in their epaulets and tin pot hats and braided swallowtail coats.’
- ‘In your imagination, they wear top hats, striped trousers and swallowtail coats.’
- ‘I am not going back as far as the days of the corduroy and the swallow-tailed coat but what I remember myself.’
- 2.1A thing resembling a deeply forked tail in shape.‘a black swallowtail coat’
- ‘If pointed out to someone they can obviously see that something with a fish / swallowtail takes longer to shape and glass than a squared off squashtail.’
- ‘A true example will have flawless craftsmanship, swallowtail joints, and copper tacks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.