Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dive performed with one's arms outspread until close to the water.
- ‘McCoist offers something different, although his swallow dive garnered him no sympathy when he attempted to ‘win’ a penalty 10 minutes into the tie. The veteran deserved the jeers and a yellow card.’
- ‘However the referee isn't impressed by his jinking moves and graceful swallow dive and books Beto for diving.’
- ‘Scrum-half Ian Monaghan then grabbed the third and celebrated scoring on his old stamping ground with an impressive swallow dive in the corner.’
- ‘The Rhinos defence gave chase, but although Mark Calderwood got close, he didn't get close enough to prevent Vainikolo celebrating with a spectacular swallow dive under the posts.’
- ‘Shaw's remarkable swallow dive over the line is an imperishable highlight of that rugby era.’
- ‘Del Piero wins a free-kick on the edge of a box with a swallow dive.’
- ‘Participants will also stop off at the Verzasca Dam in Switzerland, to watch an awesome 750 ft bungee jump demonstration, to include the spectacular swallow dive used in the film.’
- ‘I had got to the stage where I had decided even if I had to hire the entire Commonwealth pool and fly in an Olympic coach, I would do it just to learn a swallow dive and a proper hurdle step.’
- ‘Stuart Johnson added try number five and Caldwell rounded off a perfect afternoon, after Kasey Mitchell had dropped a goal, with a swallow dive over the line for a final score.’
Perform a swallow dive.
- ‘Then the law required them to stand back and let him carry on swallow-diving.’
- ‘Climb to the top of the Empire State Building, swallow-dive into an elegant free-fall, and defy gravity with a judiciously timed web just before you hit the ground.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.