One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dive performed with one's arms outspread until close to the water.Also called swan dive
- ‘However the referee isn't impressed by his jinking moves and graceful swallow dive and books Beto for diving.’
- ‘The Rhinos defence gave chase, but although Mark Calderwood got close, he didn't get close enough to prevent Vainikolo celebrating with a spectacular swallow dive under the posts.’
- ‘McCoist offers something different, although his swallow dive garnered him no sympathy when he attempted to ‘win’ a penalty 10 minutes into the tie. The veteran deserved the jeers and a yellow card.’
- ‘Shaw's remarkable swallow dive over the line is an imperishable highlight of that rugby era.’
- ‘Scrum-half Ian Monaghan then grabbed the third and celebrated scoring on his old stamping ground with an impressive swallow dive in the corner.’
- ‘Participants will also stop off at the Verzasca Dam in Switzerland, to watch an awesome 750 ft bungee jump demonstration, to include the spectacular swallow dive used in the film.’
- ‘Stuart Johnson added try number five and Caldwell rounded off a perfect afternoon, after Kasey Mitchell had dropped a goal, with a swallow dive over the line for a final score.’
- ‘I had got to the stage where I had decided even if I had to hire the entire Commonwealth pool and fly in an Olympic coach, I would do it just to learn a swallow dive and a proper hurdle step.’
- ‘Del Piero wins a free-kick on the edge of a box with a swallow dive.’
Perform a swallow dive.
- ‘Climb to the top of the Empire State Building, swallow-dive into an elegant free-fall, and defy gravity with a judiciously timed web just before you hit the ground.’
- ‘Then the law required them to stand back and let him carry on swallow-diving.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.