One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dark-coloured narrow-winged buzzard of western North America.
Buteo swainsoni, family Accipitridae
- ‘Currently, six developers have submitted plans to build on sites that could disrupt Swainson's hawk habitat.’
- ‘The Swainson's hawk is a Federal Species of Concern, and is protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.’
- ‘Humans pose the greatest threats to Swainson's hawks and other birds of prey.’
- ‘In the eastern part of the State where the Swainson's hawks were once a common breeder, the cottonwoods and willows were used as nesting sites.’
- ‘The dramatic decline in the population of the Swainson's hawk has been attributed to the loss of native nesting and foraging habitat, and more recently to the loss of suitable nesting trees.’
Mid 19th century: named after William Swainson (1789–1855), English naturalist.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.