Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An aquatic animal which feeds on particles of organic matter suspended in the water, especially a bottom-dwelling filter feeder.
- ‘The members of Echinoidea are suspension feeders, herbivores, detritivores, and predators.’
- ‘Most tadpoles are suspension feeders, filtering out tiny particles while continuously pumping water.’
- ‘The respiration rate of the gorgonian, a passive suspension feeder, did not correlate with temperature.’
- ‘Like crinoids, blastoids were high-level stalked suspension feeders, filtering food particles out of the water column.’
- ‘A suspension feeder wants a big surface area to catch potentially edible particles.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.