One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An aquatic animal which feeds on particles of organic matter suspended in the water, especially a bottom-dwelling filter feeder.
- ‘A suspension feeder wants a big surface area to catch potentially edible particles.’
- ‘Most tadpoles are suspension feeders, filtering out tiny particles while continuously pumping water.’
- ‘The respiration rate of the gorgonian, a passive suspension feeder, did not correlate with temperature.’
- ‘The members of Echinoidea are suspension feeders, herbivores, detritivores, and predators.’
- ‘Like crinoids, blastoids were high-level stalked suspension feeders, filtering food particles out of the water column.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.