Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ceiling with a space between it and the floor above from which it hangs.
- ‘Co-ordination section drawings showed the relationships of the individual services as ‘layered’ above the suspended ceilings on each floor.’
- ‘Paramount Court features raised access floors, suspended ceilings, Category 2 lighting and a Velfac window system with natural wood interior.’
- ‘Caring for a suspended ceiling is an easy matter.’
- ‘Features include raised access floors, suspended ceilings, air conditioning and two lifts.’
- ‘Features of the building include suspended ceilings with recessed lighting, raised access floors wired for power, and full air conditioning.’
- ‘Offices include raised floors, carpeting, suspended ceilings, HVAC, lighting and power, but exclude drywall.’
- ‘The finished offices will have suspended ceilings and trunking for power and computer cabling.’
- ‘The final step in the design, then, was to raise the background level using a sound masking system having loudspeakers hidden above the suspended ceiling.’
- ‘The specifications include raised access floor boxes, category five computer cabling, suspended ceilings, gas-fired central heating and common areas.’
- ‘How am I supposed to do a proper interview hanging from the suspended ceiling?’
- ‘The floor is laid out in an open plan configuration with an extensive glazed elevation, and includes raised floors, suspended ceilings and full air conditioning.’
- ‘Each level will have raised access floors and suspended ceilings, with broadband connections available if required by the client.’
- ‘The property is finished to a high specification and includes raised floors, suspended ceilings and full air-conditioning.’
- ‘The layout for ceiling tiles is somewhat simpler than that for the suspended ceiling.’
- ‘The majority of the space has a bare uncarpeted concrete floor without a suspended ceiling.’
- ‘The block will feature raised floors, suspended ceilings and two passenger lifts.’
- ‘There are three compartment floor boxes, suspended ceilings and three 13-person lifts.’
- ‘Internally, the building has a full third-generation modern specification, including raised access floors, suspended ceilings and full air-conditioning.’
- ‘Aircraft noise is an increasing problem requiring the use of massive roofs on insulating supports, with suspended ceilings, floating floors, and multi-layered exterior walls.’
- ‘The development's specification includes raised access floors, suspended ceilings and a reception area.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.