One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Japanese dish consisting of small balls or rolls of vinegar-flavoured cold rice served with a garnish of vegetables, egg, or raw seafood.
- ‘Some fresh fish is eaten raw with soy sauce as sashimi, or combined raw with rice in sushi.’
- ‘The idea of eating food that was not a burrito or cheap sushi was a heavenly prospect.’
- ‘Avoid scarcer species, such as bluefin, which are popular in sushi and sashimi restaurants.’
- ‘She even needed to be shown how to dunk her sushi into the bowl of soy sauce.’
- ‘As if to tie up the trend, New Yorkers are currently big on crudo, an Italian version of sushi.’
- ‘Modern delicacies like rocket salad and plates of sushi are delightful and delicious.’
- ‘We began with salmon roll sushi which was presented with the Wasabe and soy sauce dip.’
- ‘The soy sauce is there to complement the filling in the sushi, not the rice.’
- ‘Freezing and thawing raw fish will be the death of sushi and sashimi as we know it.’
- ‘It's such a pleasure, though, to eat good sushi, and you can do that in quantity at Sushi Yoko.’
- ‘Her grandma had come along about an hour later with sushi and a can of lemon-lime pop.’
- ‘The deep-fried vegetable rolls filled with taro and sesame seeds are similar to sushi.’
- ‘If they showed up at a pizza place asking for sushi, they'd get laughed out of the store.’
- ‘I had sushi, wonton soup, rice balls, and just about everything else they had there.’
- ‘If you are used to a certain diet, it's sometimes a shock just to be eating rice and sushi.’
- ‘The aim is to supply the insatiable Japanese market, which prefers oily tuna for sushi.’
- ‘He said lunches supplied to students yesterday included noodles, rice and sushi.’
- ‘This is a pressed pillow of white sushi rice about twice the size of your thumb topped with raw salmon.’
- ‘I particularly like Chinese food but if I feel like spoiling myself I get sushi.’
- ‘While Moscow produces incredible sushi, it falters on pretty much everything else.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.