Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large bag made of plastic or metal foil, used in an emergency by climbers and others as a protection against exposure.
- ‘Duncan was feeling very cold and got his survival bag out.’
- ‘We jettisoned all unnecessary gear, even the emergency survival bag, and we loaded up with sun cream, soaked our hats, filled our bottles, donned our shades and wandered down to the barrage.’
- ‘He was quite well provided for and he had a survival bag which helped reduce heat loss.’
- ‘All walkers are reminded that they must have a whistle and a survival bag on all walks in the interest of safety.’
- ‘Running as quietly as he could through the apartment, he grabbed his survival bag and headed for the back door.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.