One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chief supervisor in certain departments of the British government.
- ‘The surveyor general also became deeply involved in territorial politics, ingratiating himself with Montana's Republican heavyweights.’
- ‘He also was surveyor general for Illinois, Missouri and Arkansas.’
- ‘It was renamed in 1840 after Sir George Everest, the British surveyor general from 1830 to 1843.’
- ‘Accompanied by Thomas Wright, the local surveyor general, Clarke used a small telescope to make observations, and then sent the results to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.’
- ‘The surveyor general should also be required to report what particular tract of land it would be desirable that the natives should permanently retain for their own use and occupation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.