One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The action or state of being a surrogate.
- 1.1 The process of giving birth as a surrogate mother or of arranging such a birth.‘surrogacy is frequently denounced as exploitation’as modifier ‘surrogacy agencies’
- ‘He is 43 now and he thought about adoption or surrogacy, but eventually decided that being a father wasn't his role in life.’
- ‘IVF is generally the last resort in fertility treatment, short of surrogacy.’
- ‘Direct payment for surrogacy in this country remains illegal but surrogates can charge up to £10,000 in expenses.’
- ‘Most are born through traditional surrogacy - the surrogate mother conceives using her own egg after being artificially inseminated with the sperm of the intended father.’
- ‘The main purpose of the 1985 Act is to ensure that commercial surrogacy is illegal.’
- ‘In this rejoinder, I want to comment on Blackford's specific criticisms of my position on commercial surrogacy before placing my own views on this particular subject within a broader context.’
- ‘We looked into adoption, surrogacy and even fostering.’
- ‘I am very sleepy but I heard on the news this morning that commercial surrogacy is being outlawed.’
- ‘There are a lot of ethical and legal aspects surrounding the issue of surrogate motherhood and paid surrogacy is banned in some European countries.’
- ‘This bill allows for things like surrogacy - but not commercial surrogacy.’
- ‘The poverty of Blackford's position is evident in his attitude to gestational surrogacy.’
- ‘In the end, artificial wombs are different from current technologies like IVF and modern arrangements like surrogacy, because they represent the final severing of reproduction from the human body.’
- ‘A ‘soft’ form of baby selling has already crept in under the rubric of contractual surrogacy.’
- ‘Both commercial surrogacy and posthumous parenthood require social approval and state assistance.’
- ‘In surrogacy, one woman (the surrogate or host mother) carries a child for another as the result of an agreement (before conception) that the child should be handed over after birth.’
- 1.1 The process of giving birth as a surrogate mother or of arranging such a birth.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.