One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The amount payable to a person who surrenders a life insurance policy.
- ‘You could try the second hand market as well to see if you could get a better price from a market maker than on the surrender value.’
- ‘Just before his first child entered the school, when he sought a surrender value several years into the 14-year policy, he found that the plan was worth only £7,500.’
- ‘The second tier is the excess of settlement proceeds over the surrender value.’
- ‘Also included is the declaration of acceptance note which must be signed and forwarded within one month to guarantee the surrender value quoted.’
- ‘He made a particularly important contribution by proposing an elegant mathematical formula to determine the surrender value of a life insurance policy.’
- ‘Over the past 12 months, however, there has been much more interest from market-makers so that many more policies are being sold at an appreciably higher price than the surrender value.’
- ‘Are you defining the surrender value of your policies upfront?’
- ‘Some will also require the surrender value to be at least £1,500.’
- ‘If distributed, the policy's value for income and gift tax purposes also would be its cash surrender value.’
- ‘This means that there may be a tax liability if the cash surrender value exceeds the adjusted cost base of the policy, although the donation credit will likely outweigh this.’
- ‘Companies will also let you withdraw funds and deduct the withdrawal from the policy's cash surrender value.’
- ‘Because of the poor return on surrendering endowment policies, there is now a market for selling endowment policies - usually at a better price than the surrender value under the policy.’
- ‘With Irish Life you have to order your surrender value six months in advance.’
- ‘The ombudsman uses the current surrender value to estimate whether there has been any loss.’
- ‘A number of firms will buy endowments for more than their surrender value.’
- ‘You need to get a valuation of what the policy might produce in two years, and what the surrender value will be now.’
- ‘Over two years, the situation has worsened, with the average surrender value coming in at 12% lower than the original investment at £21,954.’
- ‘The calculation uses a surrender value for the policy that is much higher than the one I was given a couple of months earlier.’
- ‘Often, this isn't a good idea, as your life assurer will offer you a pretty measly surrender value for your plan, even if it's only a few years from maturity.’
- ‘The assured is then paid the surrender value of the policy, which is calculated by an actuary on the basis of the amounts paid to date.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.