Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Incomparable or outstanding.‘a picture of surpassing beauty’
exceptional, extraordinary, remarkable, outstanding, striking, phenomenal, rare, great, supreme, sublime, pre-eminent, consummate, incomparable, inimitable, incredible, unrivalled, unparalleled, matchless, unmatched, unequalled, peerless, unsurpassed, superlative, beyond words, beyond descriptionfabulous, fantastic, stupendous, out of this world, terrific, tremendous, awesome, stellarwondrousView synonyms
- ‘Many people know the story of Padmini, the queen of Chittaur, whose surpassing beauty led Alauddin Khilji, the Sultan of Delhi, to wage a ruthless war.’
- ‘This has led to some renditions of surpassing corniness, with this year no exception.’
- ‘They will enter a hall of surpassing beauty, with walls of Douglas fir that flow as elegantly as the lines of a fine instrument, a space as soulful in its way as the cathedral's nave.’
- ‘Frequently incorrect, occasionally even inaccurate, he nevertheless stirs orchestras into producing sounds of surpassing beauty, using wildly unconventional hand movements that even he cannot reproduce when not conducting.’
- ‘Not only are they among the largest and most stately trees on earth, but they thrive in settings of surpassing scenic beauty.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.