Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The sport or pastime of riding a wave towards the shore while standing or lying on a surfboard; surfing.‘after a day of surfboarding, he suffered severe low back pain’
- ‘Like my wife and two sons, I've got a major interest in water sports - surfboarding, surf ski riding and spear fishing.’
- ‘The family decides to take a vacation and stop off in California to visit their daughter, Sandi, and her hunky surfboarding fiance, Michael.’
- ‘By the Twenties, Californians had imported surfboarding from Hawaii.’
- ‘Swimming, surfboarding, scuba diving, track and field, and long-distance running also are growing in popularity.’
- ‘Skateboarding originated as an offshoot of surfboarding in California in the 1960s.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.