Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long, narrow shaped board used in surfing.
- ‘Use a lot of strength in this maneuver, so as to spear the surfboard through the wave.’
- ‘The guys finished their night surfing and ran into their house with their surfboards under their arms.’
- ‘Some would have you believe that certain surfboards, wetsuits, trunks, or sunglasses make you 22 forever.’
- ‘Since I was on a bodyboard and he was on a surfboard, he could cover a little more distance.’
- ‘Throughout the next four decades a number of different approaches and experiments were applied to surfboards.’
- ‘Since the first auction in 2001, there was an apparent shift in collectors' interest to surfboards from the 1970s.’
- ‘First came surfboards, and right on the heels of that came surf trunks and wetsuits.’
- ‘As with shaping or glassing surfboards, there is nothing like trying it yourself for a truly humbling experience.’
- ‘It was during this period that Zuma started getting a lot of surfboards.’
- ‘We used to live in Yup Central, and every spring there would be discarded surfboards on certain trash days.’
- ‘The beach butlers also can arrange for Boogie boards and surfboards if you'd rather stay atop the waves.’
- ‘He experienced the best and the worst of Pipeline with a perfect 10, a handful of hideous wipeouts and broken surfboards.’
- ‘I ride my Paipos or handboards, and the kids ride surfboards that I have shaped.’
- ‘The shack was filled with surfboards and a few odd skim boards.’
- ‘When I was that kid I couldn't wait to get a surfboard, go to Hawaii, and get lost in the surfing life.’
- ‘At each stop locals can meet the professionals, borrow 10 brand new surfboards to surf with their heroes, or try new stunts at the portable skate ramp.’
- ‘Find an old surfboard that is big for your size and floats you well.’
- ‘Since surfboards are the key element in what we do we'll start there.’
- ‘The thieves got away with six wetsuits, an expensive surfboard, a mountain bike and a mountain board, designed to be towed along beaches by a kite.’
- ‘The sand is black, it was very hot and sunny and if we had taken a surfboard we could have surfed on the waves.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.