One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A miner who works above ground.
pitman, digger, collier, haulierView synonyms
- ‘Money meant something different to miners than it did to surfacemen.’
- ‘The interests of the surfacemen seem to lie on the side of throwing in their lot with the underground workers.’
- ‘This picture, stripped of its moral overtones and exaggeration, is an essentially accurate portrayal of the modally different work motivations of miners and surfacemen.’
- ‘He worked as a surfaceman at a colliery near Barnsley and supplemented his income by writing verse.’
- ‘He was a surfaceman in the mine and got arsenical poisoning while clearing out the flues after the firing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.