A miner who works above ground.
pitman, digger, collier, haulierView synonyms
- ‘This picture, stripped of its moral overtones and exaggeration, is an essentially accurate portrayal of the modally different work motivations of miners and surfacemen.’
- ‘Money meant something different to miners than it did to surfacemen.’
- ‘The interests of the surfacemen seem to lie on the side of throwing in their lot with the underground workers.’
- ‘He was a surfaceman in the mine and got arsenical poisoning while clearing out the flues after the firing.’
- ‘He worked as a surfaceman at a colliery near Barnsley and supplemented his income by writing verse.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.