One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The tension of the surface film of a liquid caused by the attraction of the particles in the surface layer by the bulk of the liquid, which tends to minimize surface area.
- ‘Thanks to surface tension, a drop of molten metal holds itself together.’
- ‘Hydrogen bonds are also responsible for water's high surface tension and specific and latent heats.’
- ‘Water so treated will show a change of temperature, surface tension, viscosity and electrical conductivity.’
- ‘For surface tension gradients to be maintained, there must be a strong resistance to surfactant flow at low surface tension.’
- ‘It has higher surface tension, which allows it to bead up more which, alone, would allow the formation of a larger drop.’
- ‘He's unaware of any other physical mechanism for minimizing a surface besides surface tension.’
- ‘The volume of liquid metal is chosen so that liquid metal droplets remain coalesced or separated because of surface tension in the liquid.’
- ‘In fact, we would need a revolution in fluid dynamics to make surface tension fit in at all.’
- ‘The simulations were conducted at constant surface tension and zero normal pressure.’
- ‘I have long been looking for outstanding problems in the biological sciences in which surface tension is important.’
- ‘It is proposed that a similar arrangement of protein domains could concentrate the compressive stress arising from surface tension.’
- ‘The lung parenchyma is a connective tissue network that is distorted by surface tension.’
- ‘As long as the pressure exerted by an object is low enough, surface tension can support it.’
- ‘To get this weak force to effectively push a liquid surface, the team produced a liquid interface with low surface tension.’
- ‘Drift retardants reduce drift by increasing the viscosity or surface tension of a spray solution.’
- ‘In equilibrium, the surface tension of a vesicle is zero, but surface tension is induced in the bilayer as it flows through the pore.’
- ‘Structures can be designed to focus surface tension or hydrophobic attraction as compressive stress.’
- ‘The film pressure counteracts the surface tension of the air-water interface.’
- ‘Normally the bubbles are coated to avoid clustering and to prevent surface tension from dissolving the bubbles by pushing the gas out of them.’
- ‘This wetting is a result of very low viscosity and surface tension high enough to be drawn into the cracks and pore structure of concrete by capillary action.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.