One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
1Ending; cessation.‘he teased us without surcease’
interval, interlude, entr'acte, break, recess, pause, rest, respite, breathing space, lull, gap, stop, stoppage, haltView synonyms
- ‘In Savannah Bay, two women talk and talk - or pause and pose - without surcease.’
- ‘In this country, not only have we been about the making of many, many books in recent years-more than 175,000 new titles and editions last year alone-but there also appears to be no surcease in sight.’
- 1.1 Relief or consolation.‘drugs are taken to provide surcease from intolerable psychic pain’
interval, intermission, break, recess, pause, respite, rest, breathing space, halt, gap, stop, stoppage, hiatus, lullView synonyms
- ‘With their thirst for revenge sated, there is nothing left for either Lavinia or the maddened Titus but the surcease of sorrow in death.’
- ‘All the 12-steps deals seem to give him some sort of surcease from daily pressures.’
- ‘Only art, he says, offers us surcease from this cycle of striving meeting disappointment.’
- ‘A mixture of pain, grief, and guilt - one of the most bitter cocktails the human experience offers - can cause people to do unexpected things in the quest for surcease.’
- ‘My wife Mary returned to Honolulu with Miki to help with all the arrangements and to offer some surcease from the grief.’
- ‘A shepherd or two could be spared, but the suffering of kings demands surcease.’
- ‘Logging old growth forests - and distributing and selling old growth forest products - is a barbaric, outdated practice that has surceased in the American marketplace.’
- ‘You can now toss the bottle of Prozac over your shoulder and realize that depression has surceased.’
Late Middle English (as a verb): from Old French sursis, past participle of Old French surseoir ‘refrain, delay’, from Latin supersedere (see supersede). The change in the ending was due to association with cease; the noun dates from the late 16th century.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.