One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Indian clay pot with a long neck, used for storing water.
cooking utensil, container, receptacle, vesselView synonyms
- ‘The detailed designs, seen on the surface of the surahi and its accompanying glass, depict floral designs similar to those seen in Kashmiri embroidery.’
- ‘On sale are surahis, pots, ear-rings, soap dishes, door knobs, mugs and jugs.’
- ‘Hookahs and candles would be arranged around the guests, along with surahis, fresh from the potters, exuding the monsoon scent of rain falling on parched earth.’
- ‘Trays, photo frames, cups, shields, surahis, and paandans are some of the items produced.’
- ‘He creates the traditional matkas, gulaks and surahis whereas the studio potter's work is experimental.’
- ‘Craftsmen are seen decorating bowls, boxes, bangles, surahis in gorgeous colours and designs.’
- ‘Conceptualized by industry trained professionals, our flower vases and surahis are equally beautiful without flower or wine in them.’
- ‘Originated in Persia, this kind of pottery includes pots, surahis, mugs, jugs, plates, decorative pieces and many other things.’
- ‘Barefooted pilgrims pass you on the path wearing white dohtis and carrying surahis similar to yours.’
- ‘We also have the expertise to customize the surahi set/jug set in accordance with the client's specifications.’
Via Urdu from Arabic ṣurāḥiya ‘pure wine’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.