Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An Indian clay pot with a long neck, used for storing water.
cooking utensil, container, receptacle, vesselView synonyms
- ‘The detailed designs, seen on the surface of the surahi and its accompanying glass, depict floral designs similar to those seen in Kashmiri embroidery.’
- ‘Conceptualized by industry trained professionals, our flower vases and surahis are equally beautiful without flower or wine in them.’
- ‘Trays, photo frames, cups, shields, surahis, and paandans are some of the items produced.’
- ‘Hookahs and candles would be arranged around the guests, along with surahis, fresh from the potters, exuding the monsoon scent of rain falling on parched earth.’
- ‘He creates the traditional matkas, gulaks and surahis whereas the studio potter's work is experimental.’
- ‘We also have the expertise to customize the surahi set/jug set in accordance with the client's specifications.’
- ‘Craftsmen are seen decorating bowls, boxes, bangles, surahis in gorgeous colours and designs.’
- ‘Originated in Persia, this kind of pottery includes pots, surahis, mugs, jugs, plates, decorative pieces and many other things.’
- ‘On sale are surahis, pots, ear-rings, soap dishes, door knobs, mugs and jugs.’
- ‘Barefooted pilgrims pass you on the path wearing white dohtis and carrying surahis similar to yours.’
Via Urdu from Arabic ṣurāḥiya pure wine.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.