One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Treatment designed to improve, reinforce, or sustain a patient's physiological well-being or psychological self-esteem and self-reliance.
- ‘Our patient received supplemental oxygen and supportive therapy for her severe pulmonary hypertension.’
- ‘Patients in Group I received standard quinine and doxycycline therapy along with supportive therapy and placebo capsules for 10 days.’
- ‘Standard treatment is based on intravenous immunoglobulin plus supportive therapy.’
- ‘Like major depression, dysthymia can be treated with supportive therapy that provides advice, reassurance, sympathy, and education.’
- ‘Mechanical ventilation is a life-saving form of supportive therapy for respiratory failure.’
- ‘They add that the best course may be to start with a brace as supportive therapy after the initial presentation and to reserve physical therapy for use in patients who fail to respond to the brace.’
- ‘However, in patients with encephalitis supportive therapy is recommended.’
- ‘The treatment involved an eight-week interdisciplinary intervention that included a self-help program, acupuncture and a psychosomatic supportive therapy group.’
- ‘If the physician has time constraints or other difficulties providing supportive therapy, referral to a mental health professional should be considered.’
- ‘The standard of care for lower gastrointestinal bleeding is supportive therapy followed by elective colonoscopy when the bleeding has stopped.’
- ‘To many psychiatric clinicians, supportive therapy has traditionally meant a type of treatment with limited goals that is suitable for patients who are too impaired to ‘really work’ in therapy.’
- ‘It is important to continue TB treatment and give supportive therapy to patients with IRS.’
- ‘Despite supportive therapy the patient continued to deteriorate.’
- ‘Although not rigorously evaluated, supportive therapy may be responsible for the high placebo-response rates in clinical trials.’
- ‘Provide the family with supportive therapy and referral to community support groups.’
- ‘There is no specific treatment for West Nile encephalitis other than supportive therapy (such as hospitalization, intravenous fluids, and respiratory support) for severe cases.’
- ‘Once acute renal failure develops, supportive therapy is critical to maintain fluid and electrolyte balances, minimize nitrogenous waste production and sustain nutrition.’
- ‘With supportive therapy alone, mortality rates of 80-100% have been reported.’
- ‘By using a previously developed model, NIMH-funded researchers have found supportive therapy helpful in engaging patients in treatment, developing a therapeutic alliance and achieving treatment goals.’
- ‘For the more psychologically impaired patient, supportive therapy was the treatment of choice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.