One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A minimum price guaranteed to a farmer for agricultural produce and maintained by subsidy or the buying in of surplus stock.
- ‘Government's intervention is needed to save them by fixing a support price for vanilla as done in the case of coconut and rubber.’
- ‘Second, the state established institutions to set support prices.’
- ‘The bill stressed supporting farm income with the cash payments unrelated to what farmers grew, rather than having government support prices by purchasing surplus crops.’
- ‘In the countryside, the rural exodus gathered pace when reforms to the CAP in 1984 and 1992 cut support prices and closed down the least profitable and most indebted farms.’
- ‘The entry prices also serve as support prices for the major crops.’
- ‘Indeed, for wheat the support price is now lower than the wholesale price; the support price thus acts as a floor.’
- ‘The accumulation of stocks results from the government's commitment to unrealistically high minimum support prices of food grains - of wheat and rice in particular.’
- ‘The government procures rice and wheat at minimum support prices, which are often higher than international prices.’
- ‘Additionally, the reforms do not lower European support prices for grain, known under CAP as intervention prices.’
- ‘For now, the support price program provides an effective floor of about $1.10 for cheddar blocks.’
- ‘The administration has no plans to impose a milk tax or cut support prices in any year.’
- ‘These support cuts amounted to a 7% reduction in butter support prices and a 5% reduction in the support price for skim milk powder.’
- ‘The Union government has raised the minimum support price for the 1999-2000 wheat crop to Rs 580 per quintal from Rs 550 earlier, according to an agriculture ministry statement.’
- ‘Tipton notes that some dairy groups and the federal government have advocated a very high support price for nonfat dry milk over the past couple of years, which has had a primary role in the growth of MPC imports.’
- ‘It benefits directly from the exaggerated support prices the government shells out for this ‘health food.’’
- ‘The principle on which it rests is that of encouraging production by providing support prices for agricultural production of various sorts.’
- ‘A rethink on minimum support prices was also on the cards.’
- ‘The support price for nonfat dry milk remains the same at 60.6 cents.’
- ‘It means that we do not have to increase product or support prices.’
- ‘The ASCUs are then reimbursed by the Treasury for any loss related to the difference between the support price and the sales price.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.