Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The action of asking or begging for something earnestly or humbly.‘he fell to his knees in supplication’
entreaty, plea, appeal, petition, solicitation, exhortation, urge, prayer, invocation, suit, request, applicationView synonyms
- ‘The women's defiant attitude was the greatest surprise to the authorities who expected tears, supplications and general weakness.’
- ‘He read out the text, directed the contract and made graceful supplications.’
- ‘Councils may be able to make their supplications to the State Government and Parliament but, in the end, they have to comply with the law.’
- ‘They used to offer their supplications before these deities in rhymed prose and sought revelation.’
- ‘His gesture is somewhere between surrender and supplication.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.