One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An attitude of superiority which conceals actual feelings of inferiority and failure.
- ‘It tears you up to see the hate in his eyes when he looks at you, so you mask it up with arrogance and a superiority complex.’
- ‘What I really would have enjoyed hearing would have been a piece about what my sister is obviously suffering from: a superiority complex.’
- ‘A friend recently pointed this out to a middle-aged woman, whose only disability seemed to a crushing superiority complex, after she parked badly across two handicapped spaces at the supermarket.’
- ‘She has this superiority complex and she doesn't know when to close her mouth.’
- ‘Americans have a superiority complex when it comes to information technology, but we're not even close to the Scandinavians when it comes to wireless technology.’
- ‘I seemed to have developed a superiority complex over the summer, I thought to myself with a grin.’
- ‘She said that you were cold, and rude, and had a superiority complex the size of the entire county!’
- ‘I should really stop being sarcastic, because you'll take me seriously or something, and then we'll have a big full-blown discussion about my superiority complex.’
- ‘Instead, I contented myself with wondering darkly whether she was an old hag who had a ballooning superiority complex, or simply got perverse pleasure in making lives as hellish as hers probably was.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.