One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in England) a higher court whose decisions have weight as precedents and which is not subject to control by any other court except by way of appeal.
- ‘The Courts and Legal Services Act 1990 had extended rights of audience in the superior courts to solicitors and section 62 recognised that they should in that capacity have whatever immunities were enjoyed by barristers.’
- ‘It will be clear from my decision that I have held the original decision of the DSS to have been correct and that the claimant's various applications to the superior courts were misconceived.’
- ‘When special circumstances made the disciplining of a judge essential, the process was in the hands, not of a government agency, but of the judges of a superior court.’
- ‘Many features of manorial jurisdiction as practised in 1280 cannot have gone back more than a hundred years, because they so plainly echoed recent developments in superior courts.’
- ‘It has been for a great number of years the unvaried practice of the learned judges of the superior courts strongly to advise a jury never to convict any man upon the evidence of an approver alone.’
2(in some states of the US) a court of appeals or a court of general jurisdiction.
- ‘He then took it to superior court, where he also lost in a 2-1 decision.’
- ‘‘I retained him in case after case,’ says Paul Gutman, an attorney and now superior court judge.’
- ‘If the BOE rules in favor of the FTB, the taxpayer may then file an appeal with the superior court, but the taxpayer must pay all tax and penalties prior to the appeal.’
- ‘Because of my testimony, Gregory Junior Patterson will be spending the rest of his life in jail with no right to make appeal in a superior court.’
- ‘This unification process transferred many of the tasks formerly performed by the municipal courts to the superior courts and streamlined judicial business overall.’
- ‘A sub-clerk was hired by the superior court and a room partitioned for him.’
- ‘Do you know how long it takes to become a qualified judge of a county superior court?’
- ‘It has got its legal eagles on the case and has filed a suit in a California superior court against various unidentified defendants.’
- ‘That is what our attorney used when we went to superior court, that the noise issue should not have been a determining factor.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.