Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Infection occurring after or on top of an earlier infection, especially following treatment with broad-spectrum antibiotics.
- ‘The first step in management of a possible drug fever is to ensure that there is no superinfection or worsening of tuberculosis.’
- ‘Reinfection refers to elimination of the organism, followed by its return, and superinfection refers to the appearance of a new organism in the culture.’
- ‘While generally safe, prophylactic antibiotics are associated with allergic reactions, side effects, and the potential for bacterial resistance and superinfection.’
- ‘The percentages of infection relapse or superinfection did not differ significantly between the two patient groups.’
- ‘Common side effects include gastrointestinal distress, diarrhea (alleviated by taking the drug with food or water), rashes and Candida superinfection.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.