Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting the deposition or enrichment of mineral deposits by solutions moving downward through the rocks.‘supergene enrichment of copper deposits’
- ‘These conditions range from extremely high temperature and pressure in Earth's mantle to supergene transformations on Earth's surface.’
- ‘They reported that secondary, supergene silver is found in the vein to a depth of 1,800 feet.’
- ‘In some instances sparse mineralization that is uneconomical to mine can be concentrated by supergene processes into mineable ore; supergene deposits are commonly underlain by such primary mineralization.’
- ‘This process, called supergene enrichment, can concentrate silver into exceedingly rich deposits at depth.’
Early 20th century: from super- + Greek genēs -born, of a certain kind.
A group of closely linked genes, typically having related functions.
- ‘ICAM - 1 is a member of the immunoglobulin supergene family that is widely distributed among hematopoietic and non-hematopoietic cells.’
- ‘These regulatory networks can be further explored by mapping the individual mRNAs composing the supergenes and by investigating the functions of these individual genes.’
- ‘The focus of the current paper is on neutrophil binding to substrates bearing adhesion molecules from the selectin and immunoglobulin supergene family.’
- ‘He gave us the first quantitative theories of sexual selection, mimicry, polymorphism, evolution of recombination rates, and supergenes.’
- ‘It is thought that the major bile acid binding protein in the cytosol of rat hepatocytes is 3 hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, a member of the aldo keto reductase supergene family.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.