One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounZoology Medicine
Fertilization of a second ovum during the same oestrus cycle as a result of a second mating, leading to fetuses of the same age but different parentage.
- ‘A mother has had two non-twin children on the same day, due to a 1,000,000-1 phenomenon, known as superfecundation, where a woman conceives twice in the same month.’
- ‘The scientific term describing fraternal twins by different fathers is heteropaternal superfecundation.’
- ‘Obviously, the twins resulting from superfecundation are dizygotic.’
- ‘Traditionally, cases of superfecundation have been discovered by the starkly different appearances of twins.’
- ‘The phenomenon, known as superfecundation, usually results in the second baby dying as the older gets better nourished in the womb.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.