Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounZoology Medicine
Fertilization of a second ovum during the same oestrus cycle as a result of a second mating, leading to fetuses of the same age but different parentage.
- ‘Obviously, the twins resulting from superfecundation are dizygotic.’
- ‘The phenomenon, known as superfecundation, usually results in the second baby dying as the older gets better nourished in the womb.’
- ‘Traditionally, cases of superfecundation have been discovered by the starkly different appearances of twins.’
- ‘A mother has had two non-twin children on the same day, due to a 1,000,000-1 phenomenon, known as superfecundation, where a woman conceives twice in the same month.’
- ‘The scientific term describing fraternal twins by different fathers is heteropaternal superfecundation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.