Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Fertilization of a second ovum during the same oestrus cycle as a result of a second mating, leading to fetuses of the same age but different parentage.
- ‘The scientific term describing fraternal twins by different fathers is heteropaternal superfecundation.’
- ‘Obviously, the twins resulting from superfecundation are dizygotic.’
- ‘A mother has had two non-twin children on the same day, due to a 1,000,000-1 phenomenon, known as superfecundation, where a woman conceives twice in the same month.’
- ‘The phenomenon, known as superfecundation, usually results in the second baby dying as the older gets better nourished in the womb.’
- ‘Traditionally, cases of superfecundation have been discovered by the starkly different appearances of twins.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.