Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- more formal or literary term for overabundant
- ‘Similarly, he assumed that migrants can only occur where food is superabundant.’
- ‘However, a more important reason, and the basic one, was surely that fuel has long been in short supply in the Near East but used to be superabundant in Europe, as deforestation proceeded.’
- ‘Nomadic species take advantage of temporary superabundant food resources that are unpredictable in time and space.’
- ‘Many will only add to the already superabundant store of bad writing.’
- ‘Explanatory metaphors for ‘this’ ‘it’ ‘things’ are now superabundant so that the reader is made certain what is being talked about.’
- ‘Truly cold-blooded animals like lizards, newts, turtles, and crocodilians, which are superabundant farther south are missing, he said.’
- ‘He provides superabundant food for thousands of people.’
- ‘If predators such as raccoons are superabundant in small forest fragments, then increased predation from these animals could be an important source of mortality for bats roosting within these habitats.’
- ‘Silicon is superabundant; it is cheap; its products are light to transport: its production carries few and small pollution risks; its power demands are low.’
- ‘When the idea becomes common property it is like any other superabundant element in production, a free good and no longer a productive factor in the effective economic sense.’
- ‘Members of such groups sometimes even feed peacefully side by side on superabundant resources in areas of territorial overlap, as occurs in the baboons I studied.’
Late Middle English (in the sense ‘very plentiful’): from late Latin superabundant- ‘abounding to excess’, from the verb superabundare.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.