Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A new and growing industry, especially in electronics or telecommunications.
- ‘When does a sunrise industry begin to resemble a sunset one?’
- ‘After all, the renaissance of US industry in the 1990s has been a story not just of American dominance in sunrise industries, but also ruthless cost-cutting to make firms more efficient.’
- ‘An index dominated by frothy sunrise industries multiplies the risk of investing for us all.’
- ‘On the other hand, many of the new sunrise industries are very vulnerable to the slightest shifts in the economic wind - witness the problems of the dot.com companies.’
- ‘Successive monsoon failures, closure of mills and a sluggishness in sunrise industries contributed to dull celebrations.’
- ‘Smokestack industries were on the way out and sunrise industries had yet to arrive.’
- ‘We are turning a sunrise industry into a sunset industry, as Australia and Chile get out there and capture our markets.’
- ‘He welcomes the merger of three sunrise industries and predicts a bright future Scotland is at a new frontier.’
- ‘For the past two decades, the main thrust of inward-investment strategy has been to replace jobs lost in declining industrial sectors with new ones in the so-called sunrise industries.’
- ‘Ironically, fiscal deficit has never been the consideration when the government doles out massive funds for the telecom industry, the IT industry or the new sunrise industry - biotechnology.’
- ‘Exhibition services have become a sunrise industry in the city and the number of international exhibitions is increasing at an annual rate of 20 per cent.’
- ‘He is also extremely critical of the Government for not using the proceeds from asset sales to either invest in new sunrise industries or for dedicated investment funds to finance future pension or superannuation liabilities.’
- ‘The new electronics and computer industries - the sunrise industries - which were emerging in the West led the drive for developing new products and new technologies.’
- ‘The pace at which fish-farming in Scotland has slid from its status as a sunrise industry to one on which the sun is setting is breathtaking.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.