One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lounger used for sunbathing.
- ‘There are lava lamps lava-ing by the poolside bar, curvaceous white sunloungers glimmering by the sparkling pool, and slender palm trees nodding gently to the strains of ‘Blue Moon’.’
- ‘Stacks of metal sunloungers had been blown around a bit, despite being chained down.’
- ‘The furnishings are just as impressive as the view with comfy sofas and chairs, sunloungers, and antique four-poster beds in most of the suites.’
- ‘After a waist-busting breakfast, we headed for the main outdoor pool, where more than enough sunloungers were provided for guests.’
- ‘He took a series of pictures, the first one showing the Manchester man, dressed in shorts, striped T-shirt and flip-flops, casually walking away from the beach, where water is already lapping round the deserted sunloungers.’
- ‘I lay on a sunlounger beside the splendid rooftop swimming pool.’
- ‘I am not really into lounging around a Hotel pool, but what really irritates my husband is finding the sunloungers empty with the exception of a towel on each at 8 o'clock in the morning (when there is no sun and everyone is at breakfast).’
- ‘The island's dive centre is set at the end of Lankayan's distinctively long jetty, which also boasts a rather nifty helicopter pad - which is more often used for strategically placed sunloungers.’
- ‘It wasn't until we were settled on our sunloungers that we realised that we were next to Aidan and Fernando.’
- ‘While Billie enjoyed splashing around in the sea in a bikini, Evans sat on a sunlounger reading a book.’
- ‘It was a little like a man declaring to be the world's finest mountaineer while laying on a sunlounger at sea level.’
- ‘At the five-star Dusit Laguna, on the long, sweeping bay of Bang Tao, where no buildings are visible from the beach and the sunloungers are just one row deep, only 10 people occupy the 92 pool-side loungers.’
- ‘Like Lanzarote, Tenerife is a volcanic island with darkish sands and no shortage of sunloungers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.