One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garden that lies below the general level of its surroundings.
- ‘The park's gardens include a sunken garden, a rock garden, stream gardens and an Arboretum, containing many trees from the southern hemisphere.’
- ‘It's rather a nice park, with the grassy areas falling away to sunken gardens, a discreet bowling green, a playground for the kids, tennis courts, and a small strip of undefined grass where we held our scratch five-a-side games.’
- ‘The successful partnership of architect Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll consolidated this new approach, capturing the country dream within a formal layout of pools, sunken gardens, pergolas and summer houses.’
- ‘There were sunken gardens and ornamental ponds, rose pergolas and formal hedges.’
- ‘A leisure garden was planted with lavender and roses, while the sunken garden has a vine-covered arbor under which to enjoy the magnificent views.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.