One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A grebe-like tropical American waterbird of the finfoot family, with a striped head and black-spotted yellow feet.
- ‘For instance, kingfishers and sungrebes fly ahead and away from boats heading up or down the creek, sometimes for kilometers at a stretch.’
- ‘During two-day trip, we see countless Amazon kingfishers bats, forest falcon, American finfoot, scarlet-rumped tanager, and a great black hawk.’
- ‘The sungrebe is a New World species found in parts of Mexico and through most of Central and South America.’
- ‘Zach and I paddle a dugout in the failing light, looking for caimans and anacondas in the marsh grass that is closing in on the open water, but we see only a pair of sungrebes paddling around.’
- ‘The resort habitat covers orchard, meadow, forest edge, broadleaf and riparian habitats which attract many different species from black and white owls, sungrebes, herons and kingfishers on the river to oropendolas, woodpeckers and orioles in the orchard.’
- ‘There are trumpeters, cariamas, and the limpkin in South America; sungrebes in South America, Africa, and southeastern Asia; and mesites on Madagascar.’
- ‘This family consists of three species, two types of finfoot and the sungrebe of tropical America.’
- ‘Cranes and their relatives belong to an old and wide-ranging group of birds that includes rails, coots, sungrebes, kagu, sunbitterns, roatelos, buttonquail, cranes, limpkins, trumpeters, seriemas, and bustards.’
- ‘From sungrebes, herons and kingfishers on the river to oropendolas, woodpeckers and orioles in the orchard.’
- ‘Most are small families of uncertain relationships including such groups as limpkins, sungrebes, sunbitterns, and bustards.’
- ‘Our surveys have shown that the state has over 180 species of resident birds including jabiru storks, 5 species of ibises (including the scarlet), most of Venezuela's herons, sungrebes, sunbitterns, yellow knobbed curassows, scarlet macaws, hoatzings and a great number of raptors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.