One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[no object]NZ, Australian
Sunbathe.‘on Kangaroo Island you'll talk to wallabies and cuddle koalas, sunbake with seals on the pristine beach, and play with dolphins in the crystal clear waters’
sun oneself, bask, bake, get a tan, tan oneself, brown oneselfView synonyms
- ‘Meanwhile, Mel is settling in nicely, Jill is sunbaking on her balcony and Mangmoom is getting postcards from Baz Luhrmann.’
- ‘Stampfl sunbaked there, gave instructions there, and surveyed his kingdom there.’
- ‘They take these jobs thinking they'll have time off to sunbake by the pool.’
- ‘We don't surf, sunbake, or swim in the shallows of the sparkling blue.’
- ‘As she had an hour or so to burn she decided to strip to her bikini and sunbake on the bonnet of her car.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.