One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An African tree squirrel that typically has a dark ringed tail, noted for basking in the sun, which often causes bleaching of the fur.
Genus Heliosciurus, family Sciuridae: five species
- ‘He explained that on April 9, 2003, a large shipment of African rodents - including Gambian rats, dormice and sun squirrels - arrived in Dallas aboard a commercial flight from Ghana.’
- ‘These montane forests are also home to 19 species of endemic mammals, including white-toothed shrews and other shrew species, African bush squirrels, Jacksonâs mongooses, and sun squirrels.’
- ‘The six African rodents are tree or sun squirrels, rope squirrels, dormice, Gambian giant pouched rats, brush-tailed porcupines and striped mice.’
- ‘Among them are the giant squirrel, red-legged sun squirrel, brush-tailed porcupine, Angolan black and white-Colobus (which are regarded to be a new species in this area), Bushy-tailed mongoose, and sharp's grysbok.’
- ‘The sun squirrel is the largest of Zambia's squirrels, and is found everywhere north of a rough line between Kabwe and Lukulu.’
- ‘The active sun squirrels have been playing hide and seek with guides.’
- ‘It has been flying around the house for quite a while and has been active in its hunting practice - catching, amongst other things, one of our resident sun squirrels.’
- ‘Animals and birds who specialise in this habitat type include colobus monkey, dwarf crocodile, Maxwell's duiker, Gambian sun squirrel and green touraco.’
- ‘Arboreal squirrels of the Funisciurus (Thomas’ and Kuhl's tree squirrels) and Heliosciurus (sun squirrels) spp. have been previously implicated as probable reservoir hosts in Zaire based on antibody data and a single viral isolate from a Funisciurus anerythrus.’
- ‘Because of this variety, it is difficult to describe the appearance of these animals except in broad terms and in comparison to other species of sun squirrel.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.