One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dance performed by North American Indians in honour of the sun.as modifier ‘the Sun Dance pole was already up’
- ‘After being woken at dawn for a sun dance routine, the pair stayed awake to chat about Bez's angry reaction to the news that he'd been nominated yesterday..’
- ‘Chanting for summer, in my own urban sun dance, I'd voice my mantra to friends, ‘Today is the longest day of the year!’’
- ‘It was an object that had been prayed over, if you will, by the leaders of the sun dance, and it had been around the sun dance fire.’
- ‘I'd been reading a lot Native American literature, which talked a lot about the sun dance.’
- ‘Even their most sacred religious ceremony, the sun dance, has been disrupted by federal agents who ordered the ceremonial grounds to be flattened by bulldozers.’
- ‘One need only note the permanent structures for sun dances and other native religious ceremonies that can be seen on most reserves.’
- ‘Earlier that summer, perhaps in late June, Crazy Horse's people had hosted a sun dance.’
- ‘Kip Rollins is a champion surfer who now does body-piercing and Indian sun dance rituals, rituals for initiation into manhood.’
- ‘But all the while, Robert Redford has been doing an altogether more literal kind of sun dance: preaching the clean-energy gospel at the grassroots, in the op-ed pages of newspapers, on the big screen, and inside the Beltway.’
- ‘One breaks into an impromptu jig, or sun dance, or hobo shuffle, whatever, while the others clap the beat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.