Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dance performed by North American Indians in honour of the sun.[as modifier] ‘the Sun Dance pole was already up’
- ‘Earlier that summer, perhaps in late June, Crazy Horse's people had hosted a sun dance.’
- ‘One need only note the permanent structures for sun dances and other native religious ceremonies that can be seen on most reserves.’
- ‘Chanting for summer, in my own urban sun dance, I'd voice my mantra to friends, ‘Today is the longest day of the year!’’
- ‘I'd been reading a lot Native American literature, which talked a lot about the sun dance.’
- ‘One breaks into an impromptu jig, or sun dance, or hobo shuffle, whatever, while the others clap the beat.’
- ‘Even their most sacred religious ceremony, the sun dance, has been disrupted by federal agents who ordered the ceremonial grounds to be flattened by bulldozers.’
- ‘Kip Rollins is a champion surfer who now does body-piercing and Indian sun dance rituals, rituals for initiation into manhood.’
- ‘It was an object that had been prayed over, if you will, by the leaders of the sun dance, and it had been around the sun dance fire.’
- ‘But all the while, Robert Redford has been doing an altogether more literal kind of sun dance: preaching the clean-energy gospel at the grassroots, in the op-ed pages of newspapers, on the big screen, and inside the Beltway.’
- ‘After being woken at dawn for a sun dance routine, the pair stayed awake to chat about Bez's angry reaction to the news that he'd been nominated yesterday..’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.