One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A child's close-fitting peaked cotton hat that protects the head and neck from the sun.
- ‘It was a day for sun bonnets at Rose Hill Friday.’
- ‘He said all the women wore sun bonnets, and got them all decked out with flowers too.’
- ‘Outside on a flat grassy plain, shepherdesses in long skirts and satin-covered sun bonnets are moving other groups of white goats.’
- ‘The straw sun bonnets and straw cap bonnets have been going as soon as they get here, so if they show ‘out of stock’ please know we are getting more any day.’
- ‘James the Fair, brother of John the Foul (as they are referred to by the others) arrives for the 4th of July sporting a sun bonnet the size of a sombrero and so much foppery that Buzz suddenly looks like Bruce Willis.’
- ‘I am looking for 10 ” or 12 ” blocks to appliqué to a sun bonnet.’
- ‘You'll also find new baby sailor hats, baby sailor berets, baby sun bonnets, smocked bonnets for babies, and beautiful christening bonnets and christening hats.’
- ‘She became a professional seamstress with her own alteration store, stitching everything from sun bonnets to wedding gowns to linings for caskets.’
- ‘The men attended dressed as farmers, gardeners, mule drivers, and country squires, smoking corncob pipes and wearing bandannas, while the women wore sun bonnets, calico frocks, and gingham aprons.’
- ‘This is an every day or sun bonnet which adjusts at neck and folds flat when not in use.’
- ‘The images below show an assortment typical of the many types of calico sun bonnets which we have.’
- ‘The men were in their shirt sleeves, while the women wore sun bonnets and many were bare-footed.’
- ‘Make sure that Israel packs the pretty sun bonnet that your cousin Maria gave her for Christmas.’
- ‘Traditional sun bonnets - those like Caroline Ingalls wore on the television show Little House on the Prairie - have been made for the Mast Store by a member of the same family for the last 37 years.’
- ‘Play outside in the summer sun with this beautiful sun bonnet designed to protect the face and the back of the neck from the sun.’
- ‘As if skinny jeans weren't bad enough, they want to inflict sun bonnets upon us?’
- ‘This sun hat frames the face very nicely and is reminiscent of the old prairie sun bonnets.’
- ‘The slat bonnet was a popular style of sun bonnet worn throughout the 1800's.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.