Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, mainly nocturnal bear which has a brownish-black coat with a light-coloured mark on the chest, native to SE Asia.
- ‘So, as Sun Hean translated, we asked our hosts, ‘Is the animal a sun bear or a moon bear?’’
- ‘The lineages leading to the remaining species - the brown bear the black bear the sun bear and the sloth bear - first became distinct 5-7 M.Y.B.P.’
- ‘Rowena saw monkeys, zebras, elephants, a group of vivid but lazy sun bears.’
- ‘The illegal logging destroys the habitat of rare species such as orang-utans, Sumatran rhinos, and sun bears.’
- ‘The tiny sun bear picked her way through the chairs and tables and stood next to Wendy.’
- ‘Other animals photographed included elephants, sun bears, porcupines, clouded leopards, wild dogs, and panthers.’
- ‘There was also difficulty when a confiscation team was going to confiscate a sun bear owned by Alfred, who was then running an ‘animal show’ in Sleman.’
- ‘For these animals, as well as another 45 moon bears and 14 sun bears, 50 macaques, 30 gibbons, 10 crocodiles, 4 binturongs, and 200 dogs, Banglamung Wildlife Breeding Center is essentially a well-appointed refugee center.’
- ‘There are several different types of bears, including the Asiatic, sun bears, brown, grizzly, black, Kodiak, sloth, giant panda and polar bears.’
- ‘A glass case held four skulls, which Galbreath identified as those of sun bears.’
- ‘Environmentalists warn that Borneo's wild orang-utans, sun bears, and clouded leopards could be wiped out in 10 to 20 years, as well as countless other species.’
- ‘Smaller animals - sun bears, monkeys and macaques - can be rehabilitated at rescue centres with the hope of returning them to the wild.’
- ‘The sun bears and sloth bears (also included in the Ursus group by many scientists) also have as many differences as similarities.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.