Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A squash which is eaten before the seeds and rind have hardened and which does not keep.
- ‘For an early spring harvest plant peas, spinach and radishes; for summer plant tomatoes, peppers and summer squash.’
- ‘The dividing line between summer squash and winter squash thus corresponds to differences in use.’
- ‘Along these lines, Andress also recommends refrigerating summer squash, cucumbers, eggplant, okra and zucchini and protecting these vegetables from freezing, in the same manner as leafy vegetables.’
- ‘The reward: tomatoes by July and every-other-day harvests of beans, peas, brassica, cucumbers and summer squash.’
- ‘Try the Portobello Napoleon - layers of mushroom, sautéed summer squash, spinach and goat cheese marinated in balsamic vinegar and topped with a roasted garlic tomato.’
- ‘One is zucchini, a summer squash that produces so prolifically that in the end we can hardly give it away.’
- ‘A borer-resistant summer squash is still some years away, however.’
- ‘But the best picks - especially for cucumbers and summer squash - are the smallest vegetables on the vine.’
- ‘If seeds begin to mature inside beans, peas, cucumbers, and summer squash, the plants will stop making new fruits.’
- ‘Peas, brassicas, cucumbers and summer squash should be harvested every other day, not every third.’
- ‘The crooked neck summer squash, scorned by many, is delicious if properly prepared.’
- ‘‘I love the variety of vegetables,’ says Smith, ‘and I try to eat the dark leafy ones five times a week, but I also like summer squash, beets and green beans.’’
- ‘Plant lettuce, carrots, beets, radishes, kale, kohlrabi, turnips, spinach, beans, summer squash and Chinese greens through August.’
- ‘The notoriously prolific zucchini is perhaps the best-known summer squash, but the group also includes chayote, yellow crookneck and straightneck squash, as well as pattypans.’
- ‘Unlike summer squash, butternut squash has a hard, inedible skin that is easily removed with a vegetable peeler.’
- ‘‘The one pulling up my summer squash is Maggie Dowen,’ continued Adam, sighing in dismay at the destruction of yet another of his plants.’
- ‘Carrots, lettuce, summer squash such as zucchini, celery, asparagus and leafy greens are good vegetable choices.’
- ‘Zucchini and summer squash should be picked when they are 6-to - 8 inches long.’
- ‘There will be a round of grilled onions with soured cream, summer squash with garlic butter, mushrooms with a thyme and balsamic vinegar dressing, and as many zucchini as my plants can send me.’
- ‘Finish seeding bush snap beans, lima beans, sweet corn, winter and summer squash by early May to avoid heat damage.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.