Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The period in summer when most people take holidays.‘Bala is a big tourist attraction in the summer season’‘Turkey has a long summer season’
- ‘Apparently the pub turns away hundreds of potential bookings over the telephone every week during the peak summer season.’
- ‘It is the first sign that the silly summer season is upon us and adult moviegoers can head for the sanctuary of a good book or the local art house.’
- ‘Gnome Magic reopens to the public for the summer season from 10 am on April 27.’
- ‘When I worked at Vogue, it was a key element of the summer season, alongside Henley or having your highlights done.’
- ‘Winchester's historic youth hostel will close at the end of the summer season, the Daily Echo can reveal.’
- ‘He was performing during the summer season in Aberdeen when he began to notice the same person sitting in the front row once or twice a week.’
- ‘The impromptu industrial action could cost BA millions of pounds as it struck at the height of the peak summer season.’
- ‘The hall is now open for the summer season with guided tours available.’
- ‘Possibilities being considered include employing someone to control access over the summer season or closing off the ramp.’
- ‘Owners can use the property for two weeks in the summer season and six weeks during winter.’
- ‘With the summer season beginning to roll around for another year, this week looks particularly light on the corporate news front.’
- ‘The summer season is race season, which is never really out of fashion.’
- ‘Some of the biggest names in comedy have been lined up for the 2004 summer season on Blackpool's North Pier.’
- ‘They also have the ability to survive in the long summer season when daytime temperatures are very high and relative humidity is low.’
- ‘Although his records were destroyed in the fire, he said he could remember the 2005 summer season was already booked.’
- ‘There is usually a good selection of charter flights direct from the Scottish airports to Mallorca during the summer season.’
- ‘Last year saw a record number of biker deaths on North Yorkshire roads, with many coming during the summer season.’
- ‘If this happens, then quite apart from the misery it will cause animals and their owners, the area will be shut off for the whole of the summer season.’
- ‘It was a welcome tourist attraction at the end of the summer season.’
- ‘I'd love to show you a photograph of the place, but the museum is currently closed until the start of the summer season in April.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.