One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Distant sheet lightning without audible thunder, typically occurring on a summer night.
- ‘There will be directions given which will require these things to be ready and, if you want this on, it is going to be speed of summer lightning time, I am afraid.’
- ‘It lasted as long as a blast of summer lightning.’
- ‘This elevated desert area is known for its awesome summer lightning storms and very clear night skies (accounting for the presence of several astronomical observatories).’
- ‘Higher temperatures are arriving earlier in the spring, causing earlier snowmelts, which give grasses and trees longer to dry out and create fuel for summer lightning strikes, he explains.’
- ‘A market trader I met, who left school unable to spell ‘orange’, could do mental arithmetic with the speed of summer lightning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.