One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Distant sheet lightning without audible thunder, typically occurring on a summer night.
- ‘This elevated desert area is known for its awesome summer lightning storms and very clear night skies (accounting for the presence of several astronomical observatories).’
- ‘A market trader I met, who left school unable to spell ‘orange’, could do mental arithmetic with the speed of summer lightning.’
- ‘Higher temperatures are arriving earlier in the spring, causing earlier snowmelts, which give grasses and trees longer to dry out and create fuel for summer lightning strikes, he explains.’
- ‘There will be directions given which will require these things to be ready and, if you want this on, it is going to be speed of summer lightning time, I am afraid.’
- ‘It lasted as long as a blast of summer lightning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.