One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An offence within the scope of a summary court.
- ‘Thus, if the jury acquit the accused of the more serious indictable offence, they may still convict of the summary offence.’
- ‘The court deals with summary offences and some minor indictable offences such as shop lifting, property damage and even assault causing bodily harm.’
- ‘The subsection then goes on to make the contravention of its provisions a summary offence.’
- ‘Continued concern about the availability of child pornography led to the creation in 1988 of an additional summary offence of possession of an indecent photograph.’
- ‘Those offences considered least serious are summary offences, triable only in the magistrates' courts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.