Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Give a brief statement of the main points of (something)‘these results can be summarized in the following table’[no object] ‘to summarize, there are three main categories’
sum up, abridge, condense, encapsulate, outline, give an outline of, put in a nutshell, recap, recapitulate, digest, give a summary of, make a summary of, give a synopsis of, synopsize, precis, give a precis of, give a résumé of, give an abstract of, abstract, sketch, give the main points of, give a rundown of, give the gist of, reviewepitomizeView synonyms
- ‘In any speech the opening statement frames and summarizes the main ideas of the body of the speech itself.’
- ‘The conclusion recapitulates and summarizes the main findings of the work.’
- ‘The main results from this programme are summarized as follows.’
- ‘The main results of this study are summarized by the following conclusions.’
- ‘Let us first summarise the main contribution of Hipparchus and then examine them in more detail.’
- ‘Let us summarize the main findings of this section on the economies of Central and Eastern Europe.’
- ‘Table 1 summarises the characteristics of the trials, and table 2 summarises the main results.’
- ‘We summarize the main issues and discuss the solutions that have been presented.’
- ‘This review summarises the evidence from randomised controlled trials of the effectiveness of exercise as a treatment for depression.’
- ‘It's very difficult to summarise the main trends into four minutes but I'll try.’
- ‘Abstracts that summarise new research and findings will be given priority.’
- ‘We will now summarize the main results deduced from this tree for plant elements.’
- ‘The following summarizes comparative data on surgical versus medical therapy.’
- ‘Several theories of personality have been proposed and the main approaches are summarized in Table 7.1.’
- ‘The facts alleged in the statement of claim are summarized in the following five paragraphs.’
- ‘Use the activity to summarize a lesson and review material prior to a test.’
- ‘Chapters Four and Five summarize the issues reviewed in the first three chapters.’
- ‘The final section summarizes the main conclusions of the analysis.’
- ‘This review summarizes information gathered regarding the insect cell lines established so far in India.’
- ‘The written decision summarises evidence given to the commission during the appeal hearings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.