One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a summary manner; without the customary formalities.‘she was summarily dismissed’
immediately, instantly, right away, right off, straight away, at once, on the spot, directly, forthwith, promptlyView synonyms
- ‘The four rogue traders have been summarily dismissed, as has their immediate supervisor.’
- ‘The fact that it was so quickly and summarily rejected by the Court of Appeal would indicate that that was not the case.’
- ‘By all accounts, the court had a hard time quelling the resulting laughter and the judge summarily dismissed the case.’
- ‘The outcome is a slap in the face for thousands of people who took part in a household survey asking for their views only to find them summarily disregarded.’
- ‘Little Jack is kidnapped in bizarre circumstances and summarily returned with the ransom money untouched.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.