One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a summary manner; without the customary formalities.‘she was summarily dismissed’
immediately, instantly, right away, right off, straight away, at once, on the spot, directly, forthwith, promptlyView synonyms
- ‘The four rogue traders have been summarily dismissed, as has their immediate supervisor.’
- ‘Little Jack is kidnapped in bizarre circumstances and summarily returned with the ransom money untouched.’
- ‘The outcome is a slap in the face for thousands of people who took part in a household survey asking for their views only to find them summarily disregarded.’
- ‘The fact that it was so quickly and summarily rejected by the Court of Appeal would indicate that that was not the case.’
- ‘By all accounts, the court had a hard time quelling the resulting laughter and the judge summarily dismissed the case.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.